Posted by & filed under JMC 3343-002.

This week was filled with the acquisition of a diverse range of information. I began to wrap my mind around the creative mammoth that is Photoshop and began to think about the logistics and planning that go into design. For this week in review, I feel it is best summarized by two major themes:
1.Photoshop, much like anything else in life, is not learned all at once; rather, it is learned in stages, over time, with experience.
27ba13_0b01e925fd384caaba48a117fb9f5988~
On Tuesday, I sat down to listen to an hour's worth of videos about how to work within photoshop. To my surprise, the first 20 minutes weren't news to me and I knew what was going on. (small victories, small victories)
Thanks to my previous dabbles in InDesign, I realized the basics of Photoshop are rather similar. However, after working through the final hours worth of videos, I discovered there was still much to learn.
And by "much to learn," I believe "much" can be quantified in about..mmm...26 hours worth of videos. Which, arguably, would only still scratch the surface of the enigmatic Adobe Creative Suite application.
To my slight dismay, I don't have 26 hours to dedicate to video watching. But even if I did, I'm not sure it is the most efficient way to learn my way around Photoshop. I think the best way to learn will be to experience and to allow time and practice to work their magic.
Practice makes progress, right?
2.Strategic design is the best kind of design
I'm going to be honest: I favor the strategy of design over actual design itself. Not that I don't enjoy designing, but my brain truly enjoys the problem-solving, research and strategic planning element of PR publications.
27ba13_d28444d8b31b46d6b2909a524004f63b~
The inter-workings of how a publication will work and who the publication will reach are 90% of the battle. For instance, let's say I designed an amazing postcard for my sorority. Let's imagine the design of this sorority postcard is so stellar that it puts the designs of all design the world's gurus to shame. This design is absolutely perfect. (I know there is no such a thing, but just for toots and giggles, suspend your disbelief with me for a minute)
If I sent this perfect postcard to, say, middle-aged, single fraternity alumnae, it would, at best, be admired for a few seconds before making its way to the bottom of trashcan to become friends with empty beer cans and greasy pizza boxes.
The only way to make design effective is to leverage its audience.
A person projects meaning onto a piece; and trust me, I know this from my years as a fine arts student, writer and generally artistically-inclined individual. It's a basic truth in the art world. Shakespeare could write the most beautiful sonnet, but it is going to mean something entirely different to a child than it would to his lover. Audience is everything. Perception is everything. Reception is everything.
Such is design, such is life. As I said before, picking the target audience is 90% of the battle. The other 10% (designing with said audience in mind) will carry a publication to the finish line.
"Good things take time":Pinterest
Design Quote:Pinterest